Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Short Term Pain - Long Term Gain: How I Helped Raise $19 Million

When I was moving between jobs at Pitt, I took a part-time consulting position with Penn State. I worked on several projects for the Penn State Center - Pittsburgh and the School of Engineering in College Park. In total, these projects ended up raising $19 Million for the University.

I don't know why we were so successful. I know I worked so very, very hard on each one. The power of the pen is amazing. Friday, I found out Penn State had received $5 Million in ARRA money for a $10 Million project I worked on.

I think it must be fluke and yet it keeps happening. I just wouldn't want to bet my career on it. I'd rather hold down a steady job and make extra money on top of that. I've already lived the life of an entrepreneur. It can be unbelievably hard.

Anyway, I imagine how I might be able to successfully write grants in the informatics world. Just take the skills I have gained and apply them to my current position and my own research as I continue to grow in academic skills. Synergy again!

The Internet and Heath Informatics class that has lead me to blogging has been great. I really like all the ideas and media that I have been introduced to.

Thanks to Elizabeth Larue!

1 comment: