Thursday, January 21, 2010

STAND UP FOR GODSAKE! or How to Keep Working on Informatics Even When Your @$$ Hurts!

Past a certain point, the only way I can go on working is to stand up at my desk.  I tilt the computer screen upwards and have three boxes that I arrange to lift everything to my height.  I put one large box under my keyboard and two smaller boxes under my mousepad and mouse.  Sitting, I feel awful and know I'm doing damage to my body.  Standing, I can continue.

Tonight, we are doing our first online class for Internet and Health Informatics.  No matter what, doing any work after work seems like insanity.

Okay, back to business...

... I'm now returning from a several hour journey into health informatics, I am overwhelmed with the work we have been given. 

Technology is wonderful.  It puts a plethora of information at our fingertips immediately.  However, our brains are not much further advanced than cavepeople so the level of concentration it takes to rub two sticks together has to be applied to a bunch of little, teeny, tiny marks organized into representational fragments on a page that need to be recognized, interpreted, translated, processed, internalized, analyzed and the analysis communicated to meet the requirements of this class.

In all honesty, I will need to take an estimated 3 additional hours to work on these assignments.

What I am learning is that the people who create communications are often out of touch with their audiences!!

Go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment